You must complete steps in both the Apple Health app and the Apple Watch app to set up Sleep for the Apple Watch integration. Please follow the steps in both sections:
1. Steps to complete in the Apple Health app:
Your wrist temperature is only collected when Sleep Focus is ON. As it may be tricky to remember to toggle Sleep Focus as you go to bed/wake up in the morning, we recommend using the Use Schedule for Sleep Focus function in the Apple Health app. You can set up Use Schedule for Sleep Focus so that Sleep Focus automatically turns on/off based on your sleep schedule.
How to set up Sleep Schedule
To set up your Sleep Schedule:
- Open your Health app, click Browse in the bottom navigation
- Find Sleep in the list
- Navigate to the Full Schedule
- Edit your Full Schedule
- Ensure ‘Use Schedule for Sleep Focus’ is enabled, this way you won’t need to enable it manually every time you go to sleep
2. Steps to complete in the Apple Watch app
To set up Sleep on your Apple Watch, open the Apple Watch app on your phone > Sleep > Track Sleep with Apple Watch.
Do I have to set up a Sleep Schedule for every day of the week?
If you don’t want to set a Sleep Schedule for some days (for instance, on weekends) but still want your temperature to be collected, you will need to manually switch the Sleep Focus on your Apple Watch before you go to bed.
If you feel like it may be a challenge for you to remember to turn on Sleep Focus manually, we recommend setting up the Sleep Schedule for every day of the week (note: you can edit your schedule so that there is no alarm on your days off).
What if I sleep different hours than my Sleep Schedule?
It is okay if your actual sleep varies slightly from your Sleep Schedule.
To ensure that your temperature data is collected, ensure that Sleep Focus is ON before you go to sleep and that you sleep at least 4 hours that night.
In the evening:
- If you go to bed earlier than your Sleep Schedule time, you can manually turn ON Sleep Focus from your phone or Apple Watch before bed.
- If you go to bed later than your Sleep Schedule time, you can turn OFF Sleep Focus from your phone or Apple Watch until you’re ready for bed. You’ll just need to remember to manually turn it ON again once it’s time for you to go to sleep that night.
In the morning:
- If you wake up before your Sleep Schedule wake-up time, you should turn OFF Sleep Focus. When Sleep Focus turns OFF after at least 4 hours of sleep, Natural Cycles receives your temperature data and records it in your NC° app. Often, you don’t have to worry about remembering to do it: your phone should prompt you to turn off Sleep Focus when it detects that you are awake.
- If you decide to sleep in, Sleep Focus will turn itself off automatically at your wake-up time set from your Sleep Schedule, whether you are awake or not. To ensure that your temperature data is collected, you just need to sleep at least 4 hours with Sleep Focus ON.
- If you decide to sleep in and have an alarm scheduled, Sleep Focus will turn OFF when you turn off the alarm. Snoozing will keep Sleep Focus ON until you turn off the alarm.