This function in the app will help you to make sure that you're measuring correctly and that your thermometer works as it should. If you measure incorrectly or if your thermometer isn't working as it should, it could lead to an unnecessary amount of days where the app can not correctly determine your fertility status.
For this Thermometer Training, you need to measure your temperature three times in a row and enter the values in the app. Here is a step by step instructions with few tips and tricks:
- Always measure in the same place and the same way for the best results, and make sure you're sitting or lying down, and haven't been up and about for the last 20 minutes.
- Put the thermometer far back and under your tongue, and close your mouth tightly – only then click the button to start measuring. Remember to keep your mouth closed during the whole process, to avoid cool air affecting the readings. Place the thermometer under your tongue again directly after checking the result.
- The thermometer will show you different values every time you measure. This is normal, since our temperature shifts, and also the thermometer gets warmer every time you measure. This is why it's important to measure in the same place in your mouth when measuring, not only for this Thermometer Training but also when measuring every morning.
The results and what they mean:
When you're done, the app will tell you if the Thermometer Training was successful or if something might be wrong with either how you measure, or your thermometer itself. The result you will get is one of the following:
- Training succeeded: Everything is perfect, and you should keep doing what you're doing.
- Training uncertain: When the result shows "uncertain," you should first re-do the procedure and try again, as the result was borderline. Make sure you follow the instructions and measure correctly and in the same way all three times. The second time you complete this Thermometer Training after getting an "uncertain" result, you should either get "success" or "fail."
- Training failed: When your temperature shifts more than 0.3° degrees Celsius (or 0.54 degrees Fahrenheit) between the measurements, something may be up with the way you're measuring. Make sure to follow the above instructions and try again.
- It is important to detect such issues early on as you otherwise might get too high day-to-day temperature variations for Natural Cycles to be able to detect your ovulation.
- If the results indicate that your thermometer is broken, the app will urge you forward to the next steps to ensure that you have a working one.