Several factors can affect your temperature, such as sickness, alcohol, and changes in your sleep routine. We are indicating this as a ‘Deviating Temperature’, as it can skew your data and may make it difficult to properly narrow down your fertile window.
If you have any of these or similar symptoms, and still wish to add your temperature in the app - you should always manually mark it as a ‘deviating temp.' The app will also automatically detect very high temperatures and mark them as deviating, you will notice this as the temperature will have a strikethrough. Sometimes, the temperature will deviate from your temperature curve despite you not being aware of having slept differently – this is a fluctuating temperature, which should also be marked as a ‘deviating temp.'
A deviating temperature is not taken into account by the algorithm behind the Natural Cycles app to calculate your fertility status. So the more 'normal' temperatures you enter, the better your green day ratio are likely to be.
Most common reasons for a deviating temperature:
• You have been awake recently, such as snoozing your alarm or your partner waking you up earlier than your alarm
• You woke up or fell asleep later/earlier than usual, such as on the weekend
• You have slept very poorly, such as nightmares or restless sleep
Other common factors:
• More than 2 glasses of alcoholic beverages during the night before
• Using the bathroom during the night, or getting out of bed for water or similar during the night.
• Intake of medication such as painkillers and antibiotics during the night. (It is okay if you sleep 8h prior to measuring)
• If you have slept less than 4h before waking up (Read more about: I am tending to a child; I am breastfeeding)
We will also ask you the reason for why you're marking this temperature as a ‘deviating temp.' What you choose will also be put as a comment/notes for Today if you don't already have a comment for the day.