IMPORTANT: Do not measure while still using hormonal birth control, as the hormones affect your temperature and cycles. In general, the hormones work to inhibit ovulation and affect your body temperature, making it impossible to combine with Natural Cycles.
When can I start using Natural Cycles after hormonal birth control?
You can begin using Natural Cycles the day after you stop most hormonal birth control methods. This list details when to start based on which type of hormonal birth control you are using:
- The pill (combined or mini): Complete all the active pills (pills with hormones) and start with Natural Cycles the day after taking your last active pill. It is okay to finish the placebo/sugar pills as you get started with Natural Cycles, because these do not contain hormones.
- The vaginal ring: You can start with Natural Cycles the day after removing the ring.
- The hormonal IUD: You can start with Natural Cycles the day after having your IUD removed.
- The contraceptive injection/depo shot: You can start using Natural Cycles when the effect of the injection has worn off. This takes 8-13 weeks depending on which injection you had. If you are unsure which you've received, you should wait until 13 weeks have passed to be certain the effect of the injection has worn off before starting to use Natural Cycles.
- The implant: You can start with Natural Cycles the day after the implant has been removed.
- The patch: You can start using Natural Cycles the day after the patch has been removed.
To learn more about what to expect after quitting hormonal birth control, please continue reading here.
When can I start using Natural Cycles after non-hormonal birth control?
If you were previously using a non-hormonal birth control method, you can start using Natural Cycles at any time. As long as you are not taking any kind of hormonal treatment, the algorithm will be able to analyze your cycle and fertile window, no matter where you are in your cycle when you first start using the app.
Note: a copper IUD does not contain hormones and therefore does not inhibit ovulation. You can use Natural Cycles alongside a copper IUD to get a better understanding of your body and menstrual cycle without having to use a barrier method on red days to prevent pregnancy.